Baystate Health in conjunction with the University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate is seeking a well-trained BC/BE Cardiothoracic Surgeon to join a hospital based practice to provide the entire spectrum of adult cardiothoracic services. The ideal candidate should have a track record of clinical accomplishments, although new graduates will be considered. The position requires excellent surgical skills and judgment with a focus on clinical excellence and patient experience. Superb communication skills, a high level of emotional intelligence and a commitment to a team based, collegial evidence based care are a must.
The details of the position include:
• WELL-ESTABLISHED PROGRAM. Mature practice group of 5 surgeons that provides state of the art adult cardiothoracic surgery services to the 1 million person service area of Western Massachusetts. Built in patient referrals from day one.
• STATE OF THE ART HEART AND VASCULAR CENTER. The cardiovascular service line is fully supported by organizational leadership with a newly built innovative inpatient Heart and Vascular Center comprised of 6 dedicated CV operating rooms, a CVICU and step-down units, both supported by a surgical intensivist service.
• FACULTY APPOINTMENT. Scholarly pursuits are expected and supported by robust research infrastructure. An academic appointment at the University of Massachusetts School of Medicine commensurate with experience.
• COLLABORATION. A large team of cardiovascular specialists (cardiac surgeons, cardiologists, vascular surgeons and cardiac anesthesiologists, intensivists) work collaboratively in the Heart and Vascular Center with the goal of providing outstanding CV care.
• ROBUST BENEFITS. This position commands an excellent salary and generous benefits.
Baystate Health is a vertically integrated academic tertiary health care system with a mission of providing high quality patient centered care anchored at Baystate Medical Center (BMC), a 716 bed tertiary care hospital. BMC is the only cardiac surgery center in Western Massachusetts and provides over 85% of all cardiac surgery to the area’s residents. BMC has a 5 Star Ranking by Healthgrades in CABG, valve surgery, PCI, heart failure and myocardial infarction. BMC is recognized as the destination center for cardiac care by US News and World Report, and is an eight time Truven Top 50 Heart Program.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a CV to:
Thomas A. Schwann, MD, MBA
Chief, Cardiac Surgery, Baystate Health
c/o Beth Fox, Physician Recruiter
Baystate Springfield Region
Baystate Medical Center (BMC) is a 716-bed independent academic medical center. BMC is our community's major referral hospital, providing the highest level of care for conditions such as cancer, acute and chronic cardiovascular illness, nervous system illness, digestive illness, and other diseases that affect the major organ systems of the body. BMC is home to the state’s second-busiest emergency department and the region’s only Level 1 trauma center. Baystate Medical Center has 20+ residency and fellowship programs, as well as educational programs for medical students, nurses and advanced practitioners. Departmental research includes participation in a number of national clinical trials that bring our patients options that might not otherwise be available in our community.
Quality of Life
Baystate Children’s Hospital is in the heart of Springfield, with inpatient services at our main hospital and outpatient clinics in the Springfield community. Iconic venues like the Quadrangle museum cluster, Basketball Hall of Fame and Mass Mutual Center give way to picturesque Forest Park and Zoo, Six Flags New England, historic towns, and great dining, shopping and entertainment. The area boasts many beautiful homes in good neighborhoods, a great selection of public and private schools, as well as prestigious colleges and universities. Living costs in Springfield are 14% lower than the Massachusetts average. Other popular towns that our providers choose to live in are Longmeadow, Amherst and Northampton, MA as well as the Connecticut towns of Enfield, Suffield and Granby.
Inquire about this position
If you’re interested in this position, we would love to hear from you! Please call me or complete this form and I will get back in touch with you.