Facts & Figures
With a workforce of nearly 12,000 team members, Baystate Health is one of western Massachusetts’ strongest economic engines. With more than 980 beds on average across our five hospitals, we are working to make healthcare accessible to people in our region.
Our typical annual impact includes:
- Over 1.8 million outpatient visits, including comprehensive sick and preventive care
- Over 197,000 emergency and urgent care visits
- More than 36,600 surgeries performed
- More than 4,000 babies born at Baystate Health hospitals
- Around 800 medical students, residents, and fellows, nearly 1,200 nursing students and residents, and more than 400 allied health students
As an integrated academic health system, the advancement of knowledge is a major component of our mission. Serving as the regional campus of the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School, we educate and train current and future caregivers – preparing much of our region’s health care workforce to meet patients’ needs for years to come.
In service of our mission, we work to bring healthcare out of the hospital and into the community. We serve our local community through our many health initiatives, including:
- Supporting community-based organizations
- Developing programs that help prepare our young people for future success
- Advancing early interventions in wellness and nutrition
OUR DIVERSE WORKFORCE
The diversity of our workforce allows us to meet our community’s needs with cultural competence and compassion. We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for both employees and patients. As a result, the Human Rights Campaign has recognized Baystate Health as a national leader in providing inclusive and equitable healthcare.