Chief, Division of General Medicine and Community Health
Department of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate (UMMS-Baystate) and Baystate Health
The University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate (UMMS-Baystate) and Baystate Health are seeking a Chief, Division of General Medicine and Community Health in western Massachusetts.
We offer the exceptional, experienced leader a unique opportunity to advance the academic mission of our new regional campus of UMMS while leading an exciting transition to population health management. This dynamic opportunity will participate in redesigning delivery of care models across three Community Health Centers (CHC) that are transitioning from fee-for-service to an ACO model of care. The successful candidate will work closely with nationally-recognized faculty in UMMS-Baystate’s Institute for Health Delivery and Population Science to realize the potential of this exciting opportunity for research and scholarly work.
Key components of the Chief position:
• Cultivate and facilitate innovative research in population health that advances the Department of Medicine’s academic vision for clinical and health services research to improve health care delivery and population health.
• Strategic, clinical, and academic leadership of the CHCs focusing on quality of care, service, patient access, equity and patient experience as we develop a Medicaid ACO providing coverage to 20,000 + members — approximately 65% of the population we serve.
• Provide operational oversight of the general internal medicine clinical enterprise and the CHC Medical Directors and administrative directors.
• Collaborate with the Program Directors to provide educational training for our Internal Medicine and Med/Peds residencies at the CHCs.
• Position reports to the Chair, Department of Medicine.
• At least 5 years of experience post-training with evidence of progressive management responsibilities and leadership in an academic department
• A strong record of collaboration; must possess the ability to engage a broad base of potential stakeholders to work towards a shared vision
• Academic record consistent with the level of Associate Professor or above at UMMS-Baystate
• Board certified in internal medicine with preference given to those with additional fellowship training and/or MPH or MBA degrees.
• Preference will be given to those who have current research funding and the ability to develop successful clinical investigators.
QUINTESSENTIAL NEW ENGLAND
The Baystate Health System is located in the heart of the Pioneer Valley. The Valley boasts a lively mix of the old world New England charm and the vibrant energy of the revitalized city of Springfield.
The close proximity to Connecticut and Hartford, its capital, possess additional opportunities for housing, dining, and entertainment. A short drive to the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Pops, and Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary as well as many multicultural restaurants of Springfield’s vibrant foodie scene. Easy access to major cities such as Boston and New York without the expensive cost of living.
Your weekends can be filled with local shopping, farmers markets, unique restaurants, and trips to big cities, beautiful beaches or scenic mountains.
Our Physicians will tell you the reasons they chose Baystate Health are its unique work environment and culture. Here you are part of a collaborative team that values your expertise and wants you to contribute your ideas and options. At Baystate Medical Practices, our mission is to ensure that our entire community has convenient access to affordable and effective primary care. Our work is data, quality and performance improvement driven and our providers are encouraged to participate on improvement measure teams. Join us in delivering a higher state of caring at Baystate Health.
Baystate Springfield Region
Baystate Medical Center (BMC) is a 716-bed independent academic medical center. BMC is our community's major referral hospital, providing the highest level of care for conditions such as cancer, acute and chronic cardiovascular illness, nervous system illness, digestive illness, and other diseases that affect the major organ systems of the body. BMC is home to the state’s second-busiest emergency department and the region’s only Level 1 trauma center. Baystate Medical Center has 20+ residency and fellowship programs, as well as educational programs for medical students, nurses and advanced practitioners. Departmental research includes participation in a number of national clinical trials that bring our patients options that might not otherwise be available in our community.
Quality of Life
Baystate Children’s Hospital is in the heart of Springfield, with inpatient services at our main hospital and outpatient clinics in the Springfield community. Iconic venues like the Quadrangle museum cluster, Basketball Hall of Fame and Mass Mutual Center give way to picturesque Forest Park and Zoo, Six Flags New England, historic towns, and great dining, shopping and entertainment. The area boasts many beautiful homes in good neighborhoods, a great selection of public and private schools, as well as prestigious colleges and universities. Living costs in Springfield are 14% lower than the Massachusetts average. Other popular towns that our providers choose to live in are Longmeadow, Amherst and Northampton, MA as well as the Connecticut towns of Enfield, Suffield and Granby.
Inquire about this position
If you’re interested in this position, we would love to hear from you! Please call me or complete this form and I will get back in touch with you.